Sunday, April 25, 2010

TV/Floor Pillows


When my daughters, Shanna and Christina, were in middle school and high school, they would always lay on our living room floor to watch TV. They would grab all of the pillows off of the sofa, and sometimes even their beds, to make themselves comfortable. Whenever their friends came over, there would be kids, pillows, bowls of popcorn, and glasses of Kool-Aid everywhere!

So I decided one day that I would create some big TV pillows for my daughters, so they could lie on the floor without having to collect all the pillows in the house. It so happened that I had a stack of old blue jeans--most of them didn't fit, had gone out of style, or had holes in them, and I just kept them around as scrap. But I thought that denim would be durable enough to withstand a bunch of kids lying on the floor, and I could create a patchwork pattern that looked nice. Besides, what's more comfortable than an old pair of jeans? It seemed perfect.

I gave my daughters their floor pillows as a Christmas gift, and before I knew it their friends were coming over for sleepovers, and they would all try to share the two pillows--it was like a pile of kids on my living room floor! When there wasn't a pile of kids in front of the TV, my husband would "borrow" a pillow for himself, so eventually I made him one of his own. Of course, when the girls' friends would come over, they would take his, too!

When it came time for my daughters to graduate high school, I made several of their friends a TV pillow of their own. Who would have thought such great use could come of an old stack of beat up blue jeans?!

No comments:

Post a Comment