Sunday, April 25, 2010

Embroidery

As a little girl I was always fascinated with my Mom's embroidery work. She would make the most beautiful pillowcases and dresser scarves with just a simple needle and colored thread. I would just sit and watch her four hours, amazed at how plain linen could become something so unique. When I got older, I asked my mother to teach me how to embroider. This was no easy task as she is left-handed, and I am right-handed. So, we sat face-to-face for many hours, and eventually I learned to do it myself. I've enjoyed embroidery ever since. It's a great way to sit and relax while keeping your hands busy and doing something creative and productive. When my daughters were growing up, they would do the same thing I did with my mother--just sit over my shoulder and watch. Even their friends and the neighbor kids would come in after school and end up sitting and watching me, asking, "How do you DO that?" I would always say, "Very carefully and with a lot of patience."


2 comments:

  1. Hi Penny, Cindy told me about your website. I love your website. The pillow case I bought from you for a baby shower was a hit. It was for a little baby boy. Jen and her husband loved it.
    I used to do counted cross stich for years but now I do crocheting and some knitting. It is relaxing but I have to be careful now that I am older, so I wear a brace and take breaks. I refuse to stop because it is fun and creative.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Penny,
    I love the crayon embroidered pillowcases.

    How fast can you do a set of these?

    Would love to send a set for Christmas to Sarah, my granddaughter in TN who just turned eight. If you can´t do them that soon, I will save them for her next birthday.
    Love,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete