Sunday, April 25, 2010

Kitty Doorstops

In our third home, we had a door between our kitchen and entry way that we liked to keep propped open in the summertime in order for fresh air to circulate through the first floor of the house. For a long time, I just had it propped open with a brick I found in the garage. One day, I looked at the brick and decided it looked ugly against the backdrop of my cozy kitchen and cheerfully decorated entry way. So, I picked up a pencil and a piece of paper and drew the shape of a seated cat. I'm not sure exactly what inspired it--perhaps our family cat at the time, Samantha, was sitting nearby. In any case, I took my paper kitty pattern, found some scrap material, dug out my giant bag of cotton stuffing, and before I knew it my first kitty doorstop was born. From then on, people would come to our house and chuckle at our little doorstop friend. From there, I started making kitty doorstops as gifts for other people, as well as for other locations in our house.

1 comment: